As beetle season approaches

This summer i will be conducting a number of surveys on wildlife in and around Bromley. With the main focus  of the surveys on Stag Beetle (Lucanus cervus), Elephant Hawk-Moth (Deilephila elpenor) and Lime Hawk-Moth (Mimas tiliae) populations. As i write, Stag Beetle "Season" is here. Rather, the date is June 1st right now, and Stag Beetle sightings are usually between late May and early June, i know this from previous experience, and general trends in sightings in this part of the UK. However, i have yet to see one. I have never recorded Hawk-Moth numbers before, I've never even sought them out specifically, and i am also yet to see one. I think it may be a little early perhaps. I did however find a White Ermine (Spilosoma lubricipeda) and a Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) while both common and widespread species, it was nice to identify my first moths of the year.


I'm new to Blogger and im still getting to grips with using this site,but i'd like to use this blog often to write reports, regardless if it's just shouting into nothing. I'd like to have some good discussion too, please feel free to voice your opinion, criticism or any advice you have on any of my reports.


I have a few other projects going on this summer, and they will be released on this blog in due time. 
Gatekeeper- High Elms, May 31st                                 White Ermine- Bromley, May 30th

Comments

Popular Posts